What's the least expensive way to remove someone's name from deed?


Jay: We’re both on the title deed to the home. What’s the best way and the least expensive way to get my dad off the title to our house?

Attorney Tom Olsen: Is there a mortgage on your property?

Jay: Yes, the mortgage is in my name only.

Attorney Tom Olsen: Even though the mortgage is on your name only, you will have to pay the state of Florida doc stamps on the deed. The amount of doc stamps you pay is based on what the outstanding balance of your mortgage. Beyond that, typically you’d pay an attorney a few hundred dollars to prepare your deed, plus the cost to record your deed in the public records.

Jay, if you want to call our office next week, we’d be happy to quote you a fee for doing that work for you. You can call our office at 407-423-5561.