Mom wants to evict her adult son from her home


Parents must go through a legal eviction process to forcibly remove their adult children from their home.


Attorney Tom Olsen: Hope, you're on News 96.5. Go ahead.

Hope: Good morning. Thank you for taking my call.

Attorney Tom Olsen: Sure.

Hope: My question is, I have a 19-year-old son who is still living at home. He has been in and out of legal trouble, in and out of jobs. He's not holding a job down, he's not paying rent. He's not contributing at all towards the household. I really need for him to grow up and move on and he is not wanting to move. I'm wondering what legal steps I need to do to encourage that to happen or if there is anything that I can do.

Attorney Tom Olsen: Hope, first and foremost, I want you to be safe. I don't know your son, but your very situation scares me. Hope, you would think that you could just change the locks and say, "Don't come around anymore," but legally, you can't. Technically, you have to go through an eviction process to kick him out of your house, Hope. I'm sorry to say that. Now, Rob Solomon is the attorney at our office that does evictions. Believe it or not, evicting family members is more common than you might ever think you have to do, but he does it on a regular basis. Hope, you can hang up with me and you can call attorney Rob Solomon at our office right now, The Olsen Law Group in Orlando at 407-423-5561.