Probate is required to transfer property


Attorney Tom Olsen: Jason, you're on News 96.5. Go ahead.

Jason: Hey, how you doing? I inherited some property about 16 years ago from my grandmother. It never went through probate. Originally, I couldn't locate the will. About a year or two after she passed, we located the will. I have just been paying taxes on it all these years. What would be the easiest way for me to get this property legal in my name?

Attorney Tom Olsen: Jason, it will require probate. There is no law that says that you had to start that probate within two weeks, two months, two years, or 20 years. You can do probate whenever you want to. The bottom line, Jason, is that piece of property will remain in your grandmother's name until you do a probate. The result of that probate will be a court order that says that piece of property belongs to you. That court order acts like a deed. Once you do that, it'd be yours to do with as you please. Jason, we could certainly assist you with that if you want?

Jason: I appreciate all your information and thank you for that.