How do you change a minor child's name?


Thomas: Hey, I was wondering what’s the legal process of changing an infant’s name?

Attorney Tom Olsen: Okay. So Thomas, changing somebody’s name here in the State of Florida is a pretty simple process. In fact, as far as I know, the clerks will give you the forms; they will help you do it step by step. It is something that you can do without a lawyer. If you’re an adult, you can do it with your signature only. If you’re trying to change the name of a minor, somebody 18 or under the age of 18, then it will require the consent of both the natural mother and the natural father. So Thomas, you’re asking me how to change your child’s name. Well, first I’m going to tell you, is it okay with the mom? If it’s okay with the mom, then you could, whatever county you’re in, go down to the circuit court, ask them for name change forms, I think they can supply them to you, and then you’re on your way, and again the clerks will help you with that process. It’s relatively simple. By the way, once you get your name changed, whether you’re a minor or an adult, then they literally issue you a brand new birth certificate with your new name on it.