Landlord wants to collect unpaid rent


Attorney Tom Olsen: Let’s go now and talk to Christine in Orlando. Christine, you’re on News Talk WDBO. Go ahead.

Christine: Yes. I have a question regarding how to collect on back due rent from a tenant who had to move out because they didn’t pay. 

Attorney Tom Olsen: Okay. So--

Christine: And it’s been about a month and a half, plus there’s some other late fees and other unpaid things--

Attorney Tom Olsen: Christine, I assume they’re under $5,000. That means you’re in Small Claims Court. The clerks would give you the forms; help you through it step by step. 

At the end of that Small Claims Court action, you’re going to get a piece of paper that says your tenant or tenants owe you money, and then you’re into the next phase, and that is trying to collect on it. 

The Small Claims judge who grants that judgment in your favor, Christine, will also assist you in collecting it against your former tenants. That’d be the best advice I could give you.